Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Bound for Glory: America in Color

The blurb from the site: Bound for Glory: America in Color is the first major exhibition of the little known color images taken by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information. These vivid scenes and portraits capture the effects of the Depression on America's rural and small town populations, the nation's subsequent economic recovery and industrial growth, and the country's great mobilization for World War II. I just love this kind of thing. I find it fascinating how difficult life was for almost all the previuos generations, and how relative it all truly is. I sit as a middle class man, in luxuries many of my ancestors would never have dared dream of, and yet I hunger. I feel unentertained. I feel incomplete. Contentment with what one has is the provision of the believer. We are full, yet we're truly starving. I think that many of those who tread before us would smack us if they heard us complain. Like when I was doing ablutions at the mosque. There was this elderly Bangladeshi chap next to me. In hope of making conversation I said, "Cold eh," smilingly. He looked up at me as one would some lint. "You are young," he firmly replied. It makes me laugh to think of it. I have the softest whitest hands. Yes, these hands have never known labour. Click here for the online exhibition.

No comments: